Saving electricity must become our priority while using any kind of electrical appliance be it a washing machine, refrigerator, microwave, and other appliances. Saving electricity helps reduce wastage of unnecessary energy, therefore, making appliances energy efficient.
Here are a few tips to save electricity on your home appliances as much as possible on some of the most used home appliances. Here we have listed three of the most frequently used home appliances – air conditioner, refrigerator, and microwave.
Tips to save electricity on Microwave
Microwaves are an essential part of the kitchen that are mostly used to heat already cooked food items. But there are some people who like to cook smaller items in the microwave or boil food items. Be it just heating food or cooking, here are a few tips on how to use the microwave.
Image Source: LG
The tips to save electricity on the microwave are the following –
- Consider microwave for cooking only small items or edibles and not for bigger items or larger portions. Cooking larger portions of food take more time and space for which a gas stove is best.
- Avoid opening the microwave repeatedly to check if the food item is fully cooked. It is said that 4-5oC is lost each time one opens the microwave door.
- Keep in mind that food that has liquid and is required to boil must be first exposed to higher levels of heat so as to get the water to boil and then lower the heat to cook the food evenly while saving the maximum amount of electricity.
- Another important tip that one must know is that the water that will be used for cooking a food item must be precise. To do that one must measure the water needed carefully so that avoid using more heat and energy than required.
- Preheating the microwave for baking and other cooking methods, around five to seven minutes of preheating should do the trick and more than that would only waste electricity.
Tips to save electricity on Refrigerators
Refrigerators are so essential to any household from storing food, keeping food fresh, or keeping our favorite beverages chilled during summers, it is something that no household can do without.
Here are a few tips to save electricity on refrigerators –
- Avoid keeping the refrigerator door open for long intervals. It is best to decide quickly and get the required items out of the fridge as soon as one can.
- If there are no items in the freezer or if there are items that need less freezing it is best to use the necessary temperature and not any degree colder than that. It is said that even if the freezer is 5 degrees colder than necessary the refrigerator will use 25% more energy which means more electricity consumption.
- Always ensure that the fridge door is properly closed.
- If the refrigerator is in need of gas, check for leaks as it is very plausible that the refrigerator might need gas because of the leak. In such cases, prioritize fixing the leak.
- Always keep in mind that it is very important to clean the condenser coils that are located at the bottom or at the back of your refrigerator. This ensures the refrigerator is in good condition.
Tips to save electricity on Air Conditioner
Air conditioners are life saviors during the summers. However, air conditioners must be used carefully and only when necessary to ensure energy-efficient usage of the appliance.
Here are a few tips to save electricity on the air conditioner –
- Air conditioners must not be used continuously. Let the machine rest for a while before turning it on again. Also repeatedly turning it on and off will consume more energy, therefore, more electricity.
- While using the air conditioner, keep the doors and windows closed so that the outside warmth does not come into the air-conditioned room which will keep the room cooler for a longer period of time.
- For air conditioners that have a timer, make proper use of it by setting a timer of 30 minutes or 45 minutes which is sufficient time to cool and dehumidify a room.
- Always ensure to buy the most energy-efficient air conditioner in the market if and when looking to buy a new air conditioner.