In favour of the smartphone export, the government has also recently announced a PLI scheme that has supported 16 electronics companies including 10 mobile handset manufacturers
An exclusive report of research, analytics, and consulting firm techARC stated that India’s smartphone exports could cross $1.5 billion by value, which is over 98% of the total mobile phones exported out of India.
Founder of techARC, Faisal Kawoosa said, “India has been exporting mobiles to destinations like UAE and neighbouring SAARC countries for quite some time. However, ‘Make in India’ initiative has made India a truly global exporter of mobile phones. Today, India is exporting to 24 countries, some of which are further re-exporting, like UAE, to other markets making Indian made phones available to millions of users.”
In favour of the smartphone export, the government has also recently announced a PLI scheme that has supported 16 electronics companies including 10 mobile handset manufacturers, which is speculated to perk-up India’s position in the international smartphone domain and also offers momentum to the manufacturers of making India a worldwide hub of mobile production.
Some of the key insights include:
- A total of 12.8 million mobile phones were exported from India since January to September 2020. Of this there were 10.9 million smartphones.
- Covid-19 had a severe impact on the exports with volume sharply falling to 1.2 million in April-June quarter from 7.4 million in January-March period. For the July-September quarter the exports were at 4.2 million units indicating recovery due to restoration of supply chain and logistics as well as resumption of work in Indian factories.
- Samsung leads the exports significantly with 11.6 million units distantly followed by Xiaomi at 0.6 million shipments. Samsung exported 9.8 million units of smartphones followed by Xiaomi at 0.6 million and Lava at 0.2 million smartphones. The other smartphone exporters in top 5 are Vivo and OnePlus.
- Lava has emerged as the ‘torchbearer’ Indian brand which is not only the lone domestic brand exporting mobiles but also pecks in top 5 brands.
- Indian brands are now exporting to extended markets like the USA. 7 brands are exporting mobile phones from India to the US.
- 21 brands are exporting mobiles from India. 17 brands are exporting Smartphones.